Royal Canadian Mint have released a coin celebrating the Borg from Star Trek >
“From 1987 to 1994, Star Trek™: The Next Generation built upon the spirit of The Original Series by updating the themesto reflect its time. Even today, Canadian Star Trek™ fans remain as dedicated as ever to it, with a stellar cast of characters and gripping episodes such as “The Best of Both Worlds,” which included one of the most memorable antagonists of all time: the Borg.
The formidable Borg pose one of the greatest threats to the Federation. They are uncompromising in their desire for “perfection,” which drives their single-minded pursuit to assimilate new worlds, technologies and people—including, briefly, Captain Jean-Luc Picard himself!”
Read more here http://www.mint.ca/store/coins/coin-prod2930141?lang=en_CA
Star Trek™: The Borg – 1 oz. Pure Silver Coloured Coin (2017)
“Did you know…
- In the seventh-season episode “Lower Decks,” Ensign Sam Lavelle tries to ingratiate himself with Commander Riker but mistakenly believes Riker is Canadian (Riker states he’s from Alaska).The series introduced a number of memorable characters and species, including the Borg, the Ferengi, and the Cardassians.
- The Borg made six appearances in Star Trek™: The Next Generation, including their debut in the second-season episode “Q Who?”
- Once the Borg have assimilated Picard, he is designated as Locutus. It is a fitting name given his intended role as an intermediary, since “Locutus” comes from a Latin word for “spoken.”
- Although we know them as a collection of thousands of different species, the Borg’s origins are never fully explained. In “Q Who?,” Guinan mentions that they are comprised of “organic and artificial life” and have been steadily evolving for “thousands of centuries.”
- Many fans contend the Borg’s most memorable appearance is in the award-winning third-season finale, “The Best of Both Worlds.” One of the series’ most popular episodes, the cliff-hanger ending includes the shocking image of Picard as an assimilated Borg drone”See more at: http://www.mint.ca/store/coins/coin-prod2930141?
Thank you RCM for images and text
- Composition99.99% pure silver
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Face value20 dollars
See more at: http://www.mint.ca/store/coins/coin-prod2930141?